In order to be eligible to undergo same-day colonoscopy, the following requirements must be met:
- You must have someone drive you or be available to drive you home the day of the procedure. Somebody responsible for you can accompany you in a taxi but NO public transport is allowed.
- For your own safety, you will NOT be allowed to drive yourself due to the sedation.
- No history of liver, kidney (dialysis), heart or lung disease.
- No anticoagulation therapy (Coumadin or heparin).
- No history of excessive bleeding during previous surgery or dental extraction.
- No aspirin (or aspirin containing products) or Plavix (clopidogrel) for seven days prior to the procedure. Tylenol (acetaminophen) can be continued or substituted as a pain reliever for aspirin.
- No anti-inflammatory medicines such as Aleve, Motrin, Advil, ibuprofen, naproxen, Celebrex, etc. for two days prior to the procedure.
- It is recommended that you do not go back to work, do any strenuous exercise, drive or sign any legal documents after a colonoscopy.